Monday, August 19, 2013

Finished Object

I recently completed two sewing projects that have been in my “to-do” pile since 2011 when my recently widowed MIL opened her husband’s closet for all to take what they wanted.

Grandchildren picked cowboy boots and a hat, various leisure wear shirts, etc. When everyone else had chosen, I stuck my head in and picked two shirts for a hair-brained plan to remake them into aprons.

Two years later, by the time I finally allow myself to bring them to the top of the list, it turns out my thing had become a thing. (If there are a thousand similar ideas depicted on Pinterest, it is a thing.)

Apron #1:
Green and plaid green shirt prior to transformation:


 and post-transformation.

 Pattern is adapted from Simplicity 4282 Vintage Aprons View E. Contrast fabric on upper apron is Fresh Air by Chez Moi for Moda. Collar is permanently attached at front neck, but an elastic extension on back of neck allows for slipping over the head.

Apron #2:
Hawaiian print shirt prior to transformation:


 and post transformation.


Followed patterns and instructions of the Retro Fun: Vintage Style Apron, though I don’t think the pattern was edited well and would probably follow it less rigidly next time. For example, it called for “extra wide bias tape” without specifying the actual width. I went for the widest option, but in retrospect the apron in their photo appears to use 1/2 inch instead of my 7/8 inch. The smaller width would have been easier to work around corners, etc. Contrast fabric is Collage by Carrie Bloomston for Such Designs, Scratch Pattern 36531.


No comments: