In the few projects I have worked with, I have stumbled across several mistakes in her pattern description and instructions, and I have seen where people have encountered mistakes with other projects in this book—yet no errata exists. Pu-Leaze.
So, other than the hat pattern that goes with the nightie (I have a spare skein and buttons), I won’t knit anymore Erika Knight patterns. That being said, here are my thoughts on the project:
I knit this out of Mandarin Petit by Sandness Garn, on #2 needles. For the hem and neck ribbing, I ended up using size 0, only because I couldn’t find 1s. 0 worked. But, this is a lot of knitting, even for a baby (I made 3-6 months), so should be started well in advance of the projected due date.
Even on size 2 needles, the fabric (at gauge) was much more open than I like. I’ve seen other people use this fiber on size 4s and are delighted with the results. I, unfortunately, can’t say the same.
The nightie features an envelope neck, scratch mittens, and snap closure at the hem. Large buttons are sewn over the face of the snaps. Small buttons (or could have been a cotton ribbon bow) are attached at the neck.
Will try casting on 25, 26 or 27 stitches with larger needles, then continuing pattern as written.”
That seemed to do the trick.
Another thing I attempted with this project was learning/practicing to knit combination style, which I have heard is a good way to eliminate rowing out. That turned out to not be entirely successful, and it slowed me down quite a bit, and I noticed my gauge was changing as a knit. So, only the back was knit in combination. The rest was knit (the baby was born a month early) in the faster-for-me continental way.